Well the Google fix didn’t fix all the original issues I reported, I didn’t mention them in the exploit page as they only apply to a few minority browsers, but they’re there - so I’m trying firstname.lastname@example.org again again, this time copying in two people at google who got in touch.
Not that I hold out much hope, the Google security guy hasn’t responded in the last 5 days to my simple request of how to actually report flaws since the email address doesn’t work (and I’ve heard from two other people who have had a similar lack of response after emailing them)
Hopefully Google will start responding and taking security reports seriously, I don’t hold out much hope, but if the flaws that exist in google desktop are made public, Google won’t be able to get it fixed in hours, people will be stuck with the old flawed, exploitable versions of Google Desktop they have now. If you’ve still got Google Desktop, Uninstall it now!.
Oh actually it looks like Salvatore Aranzulla has already publicised the Google Desktop flaw - whilst not quite the same as the one I found, it comes from the same root cause - Google developers writing untrusted data from the querystring straight into the page without encoding it.
Google, stop releasing products, get all your developers into a room, get some good developers who understand Security to explain it to everyone. Then review all your code and sites, get some tests written, get defensive and sort your security out now, before exploits start actually getting used. At the moment it’s ridiculously easy to find exploits in Google, and they don’t seem to be taking it seriously.
Users - uninstall Google Desktop, make Google a “Restricted site” in IE so script is disabled go to “tools - security - restricted sites” and add *.google.com, other browser users do the same, and start looking for different search or email solutions.